Sunday, October 19, 2008

Howard Stern Plays Chess

NN - Howard Stern
Black to play.


Howard Stern's fascination with chess is the focus of today's New York Times chess column by Dylan Loeb McClain ("Long a Player, Howard Stern Gets Serious About His Game"). I like when McClain discusses amateur games and players (as he did a few weeks ago when he covered astronaut Greg Chamitoff's match with Mission Control) and I am sure his readership connects to them more than they do to the games of the ongoing World Chess Championship with their incomprehensible maneuverings. Stern's games are actually pretty good, especially his cute ICC blitz miniature featuring the Budapest Counter-Gambit (see diagram above).

Anyone know Stern's ICC handle?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howard Stern's handle at another chess site is CaptainJapan

Anonymous said...

I know it, but I'm not going to make it public. I image if you search the Web hard enough you'll find it. Supposedly, a TV camera caught a shot of Stern's ICC game, and there are pictures of the screen shot (with his handle visible) out there.

It would be great if Stern played OTB. What a boon that would be for the game!

Howard

Blue Devil Knight said...

I'm sure he doesn't want it public. His fans (I am one of them) are crazy!