Friday, February 02, 2007

Holmdel Chess Club


The chess class I teach is located very near the Holmdel Chess Club, which meets on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. - midnight in the Holmdel Senior Center at 4 Crawfords Corner Road in Holmdel, NJ (basically behind the Garden State Arts Center if you are looking on a map). The club has an excellent balance between older and younger members, including several youngsters ranked at the top of their age group in the U.S. It also has both strong masters (including a number of NMs and FMs in attendance) and beginners. It's a great club for my students, and I hope to get some of them at least to check it out. Club dues are $25 residents and $30 non-residents (but no one hassled me to pay anything during my visit.) Boards and pieces are provided. The club sponsors lectures and team matches, and I saw several informal lectures on my visit -- including one by an 8-year-old champ to some older beginners. Highly recommended.

No comments: