Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Two Knights French Revisited


diagram

White to play and win after 12...f6.

As the diagram above suggests, the game Weise - Flach, Hessen 2000 led to some interesting queenless middlegame tactics. The game was also interesting for its opening, which usually arises via the Two Knights French (1.e4 e6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3), a line I've discussed on this site before. This game and the accompanying analysis practically refute the seemingly equalizing line 3...dxe4 4.Nxe4 c5!? to which White can reply 5.d4! cxd4 6.Qxd4! Qxd4 7.Nxd4 forcing a highly advantageous ending with greater mobility and development.

That's not to say I'm a big fan of this line. In fact, after the trouble I had proving more than equality for White in my 4th Round game against Moldovan (who chose the simple 3...d4! advance), I've decided to find a different anti-French weapon. What, exactly, I'm not sure, but I do need something before the U.S. Amateur Teams this weekend...so I'm open to suggestions. And since I've decided to shelve the Two Knights French (at least for now), I thought I'd share some pieces of my repertoire with those who choose to persevere with it. It is not a bad line, after all, it's just that Black has a few roads to equality with which I've grown weary....

1 comment:

Robert Pearson said...

When I was a 1. e4 guy back in the day I liked the Tarrasch because it usually led to an open position, but you don't seem to mind closed postitions so much. Maybe the KIA? Lots of room for originality after the first few moves. Anyway, go get 'em at the Amateur Teams! Your fans look forward to hearing about it.